My Take on the Iphone

As everyone knows, the iPhone is an amazing device -- just not a great phone, which is due to unreliable service. That's the only reason I switched. And I was kind of worried about the experience I'd have with a Droid from Verizon. So instead of talking about the iPhone, I'm going to focus on my experience with the (motorola) droid -- in the context of being a former iPhone user.


Also, these are just impressions -- not scientific testing with a stop watch. But I think after over a decade in web dev, I can make observations about a device that are qualitatively valid, if not totally rigorous.

Looks
First, the device itself looks okay -- not beautiful like the iphone, but certainly not hideous. The are certainly better and worse-looking smart phones out there. And it's kind of heavy, most likely due to the hard keyboard that slides out.

Screen
Big, bright and sensitive (like me!). Seriously, it's just as nice, if not nicer than the iphone screen, which I thought was amazing.

OS
Android is really nice. It borrows a lot of the simplicity of the iphone, with some nice added features like a top status you can pull down for details on your alerts.

Email
It's great -- but I'm only using Gmail right now. In fact, the whole google suite (cal, docs, search) is pretty killer.

Browser
Great -- can't really tell the difference between its performance and the safari's. Oddly, it doesn't feel like Chrome (google's browser for computers).

Phone calls
No doubt, in my experience, Droid crushes the iphone. No dropped calls (yet) vs. 6 out of 10 calls dropped with iphone (for me).

Keyboard and Autocomplete
Honestly, the soft keyboards are similar. A couple nice things on droid include a .com and @ symbol on the default keyboard. There's also a hard keyboard -- but I'm not really using it. The soft one is fine -- and, the big news, the autocomplete is wonderful! Suggestions appear right above where you type -- not in the sentence like on iphone -- and the it's learning my vocabulary really fast.

Battery
iPhone wasn't great, and the Droid is just as poor, if not worse. Had a backup battery for the iphone, and now I have one for the Droid.

Apps
I was a huge apps user, and that's where my biggest fear was. It was unfounded. The android marketplace is great. Haven't missed one app.

Camera
Droid camera is ridiculously awesome. 5mp. Video. Flash. Really, really nice. I was amazed by how good the iphone camera was, and I'm blown away by the droid.

Music
I was bumming about having to have a separate ipod. Then I found an app called doubletwist that syncs a droid with itunes with absolutely no hassles.

Buttons
The Droid has added something I think is awesome: a back button right on the case. At first I wasn't sure I would use it, but it really comes in handy. Back has definitely become a standard move for users, and it makes total sense to have that on the phone.

So that's where I'm at in my assessment. More to come...

0 comments: